Monday, March 4, 2013

March 4th Generosity Devotional


March 4, 2013

Sowing and Reaping 1

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.  2 Corinthians 9:6

I’m a liberal. (There, I said it. I feel so relieved!) 

Now before you celebrate or get all indignant, depending on your point of view, let me explain; I’m not talking about politics or theology.  On those spectrums I’m pretty conservative, I’d have to admit. But I’m liberal when it comes to Jesus’ invitation for overflow. As light and salt in this world, we as God’s children have both the privilege and mandate to live generously or overflow for others.  So while I personally am pretty buttoned down, I am learning in the economy of God’s kingdom to be a liberal, to be generous, to live large!

As a suburbanized farm boy, the concept of sowing and reaping has always resonated with me.  It’s the simple law of the harvest: If you want to see a harvest, you’ve gotta scatter the seed, lots of it!  Be liberal. Some will fall on good ground, some on bad.  Some will bear fruit and some, not so much. But our responsibility is to just keep liberally sowing; to overflow the life of Christ in word and deed into the lives of all we come in contact with.

So I live generously.  I give generously.  I share from a full heart.  Unlike Robert Tilton or other who teach a prosperity gospel, I’m not sowing with the expectation of some financial return.  I’m sowing so His Kingdom can expand, His word can spread, His name can be glorified, His church can minister. 

Some people feel intimidated by the idea of giving generously.  Not me. It is part of a lifestyle of generosity that I want to model and leave as a legacy for my children. 

Be liberal!

No comments:

Post a Comment