Friday, March 8, 2013

March 8th Generosity Devotional


March 8, 2013

I Dreamed a Dream

In the classic story of “Les Miserables” Fantine finds herself rejected by the man she loves and by society.  As she faces her final hours she expresses her bitter disappointment in life and declares that “life has killed the dream I dreamed.”  I personally love the passion with which she sings this song and identify strongly with the concept of having a dream.

I have a dream. 

Through my early years the wounds of abuse and the sins associated with my sexual addiction produced a boat load of guilt and shame that sent me into hiding.  I found church to be an easy place to hide.  The outward structure of religiosity and the shallowness of the church’s teaching which centered on theology allowed me to look good on the outside and continue to harbor my secret sin and shame.  The sin and shame grew in hiding and nearly killed me

I have a dream.

I have a dream that there will be a church where people who struggle are free to share, free to receive God’s grace, free to work through their past without condemnation and shame, free to celebrate their victories and be comforted in their defeats.  I have a dream that the message of grace and the counsel needed to work through life’s struggles would be easily accessible to all.

I have a dream.  It’s not just my dream, it’s your dream, it’s God’s dream, it’s the dream of GLCC.  But a $5.1 million mortgage threatens to kill the dream.  Are you praying with me about a miraculous offering this Sunday?

“I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment