Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February 19th Generosity Devotional


February 19, 2013

Overflow of Praise 1

May my lips overflow with praise, for you teach me your decrees. Psalm 119:71

I am driving in stop-and-go traffic right now on I-66 and the guy in the car next to me is giving a free concert.  Really. I mean, this guy is amazing; he’s singing his heart out, head thrown back, dancing in his seat, drumming the air, smiling, occasionally playing air-guitar.  I can’t hear him at all, but expect to see this guy on American Idol or The Voice very soon.  I’m impressed… and a bit jealous (although I do wish he’d keep his hands on the steering wheel).  The traffic’s not bothering him a bit.  It’s a pleasure to watch, actually.  It makes me smile. Everyone in the vehicles around him has a glazed over, let-me-off-this-highway look or a sullen I-can’t-believe-it’s-Monday look and this guy is transcending it all- dancing, singing, laughing. 

I wonder if he’s a Christian.

Worship, or an ‘overflow of praise’ (as this Psalm calls it), has the ability to do that.  It lifts us up out of our circumstances and focuses us on the One who is above, through, and in all of our circumstances- our eternal Father.  An overflow of praise cultivates in us a heart of gratitude, a renewed faith in God’s plan and an appreciation for God’s grace, which comes to us, often, right in the midst of unpleasant circumstances.

I love to gather with fellow believers to worship God on Sunday.  But you can “overflow in praise” at any time and in many different ways.  It doesn’t have to be through worship music- you can overflow in praise through prayer, art, or speech.  How about sharing with your wife or a co-worker something amazing about who God is or what he has done for you?  Chances are, if you overflow in praise all week you’ll be ready for the worship service on Sunday. 

Overflow in praise today!

No comments:

Post a Comment