Monday, February 25, 2013

February 25th Generosity Devotional


February 25, 2013

Giving Grace

            They closed a lane on 66 again.  The orange sign says left lane closed ahead, merge right.  After a long, deep, heavy sigh, I put on my turn signal and join the slow moving line in the right lane.  Of course, there are a few people behind me who think that if they wait to merge, they can get ahead of a few people and get home 3 seconds before they would have.  My tendency is to ride as close to the bumper of the car in front of me as I can so that no one can squeeze in front of me.  They can wait like the rest of us!

            Why is it so hard for me to be gracious to people?  I tell myself it is because they are not doing right (they should wait in line) so they don’t deserve my grace.  This really doesn’t work when we are talking about grace.  Grace, by its very definition, is not deserved.  I Timothy 1:14 says that I am the recipient of grace that has been poured out on me abundantly.  I certainly wasn’t doing right when God poured out his grace.  I didn’t deserve for Him to love me, forgive me and bless me.  But He has, abundantly!  I now live in that abundant, overflowing grace.  How can I then hoard that grace or dispense it conditionally?  Living in this abundant grace compels me to share that grace with others, others who don’t necessarily deserve it. 

            Okay, I’m easing up on the gas pedal, letting in a shiny BMW… grace. 

I Timothy 1:14
“The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ  Jesus”
  






No comments:

Post a Comment