Thursday, February 28, 2013

February 28th Generosity Devotional

February 28, 2013

Enough

And Jesus told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

“Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. Luke 12:16-18

e·nough  /iˈnəf/ adj. adequate for the want or need; sufficient for the purpose or to satisfy desire; as in, I have had enough food.

How much is enough?

This is a question that Americans have a tough time answering.  Sixty eight percent of us are overweight, we have closets full of clothes, Racks full of shoes, and garages so filled with stuff we can’t park our cars in them.  The New York Times recently reported that Americans rent 2.3 billion square feet of rental space- 7 square feet of storage for every man, woman and child in the whole nation.  In our house, it seems like every Christmas we pull out trash bags full of barely used toys to give to Good Will to make room for the next crop of toys.  How much is enough?

The definition of “enough” is rather indicting.  “Sufficient for the purpose.” Hm… that could redefine my relationship with food, shopping and many other things.  Do I have sufficient?  If the answer is “yes”, then why more? But the last part of the definition cuts deep: “sufficient to satisfy desire.”  Ouch.  Maybe that’s what our rampant consumerism is about.  We are trying to use stuff to satisfy a desire. We are casting possession or pleasures into that large hole in our heart that can only be filled with God. 

Now I’m not saying that everyone should take a vow of poverty, live in a cardboard box and survive on saltine crackers.  Scripture is clear that God has given all things for us to freely enjoy.  So by all means, enjoy! But settling the question of “How much is enough” will free us to enjoy our relationship with God more fully and liberate us to live more generously in God’s kingdom.

Maybe enough really is enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment