Thursday, February 21, 2013

February 21st Generosity Devotional


February 21, 2013

Living Water 1

            Several years ago we had one of those inflatable pools in our back yard.  It was four feet deep and 16 feet in diameter, so it held well over 20,000 gallons of water.  One time the side of the pool collapsed and a large amount of the water began to escape and form a river flowing across our back yard.  The depth and speed of that river would have been alarming if I had not known that the source of the water was limited to that 20,000 gallons.  If that depth and speed had continued over a long period of time, it would definitely have made a deep impact on my back yard!
           
The Bible speaks of “living water”.  This is really a metaphor for life, the life that God always intend for us to live.  When we allow this life to flow through us and from us, it makes an impact on the world around us, they are affected by our overflow.  However, if that water is dependent upon our circumstances or our feelings, the source will be limited and the impact will be minimal. 
           
            Jesus said that from within us could “flow rivers of living water”.  Not just an intermittent stream, but a constant river.  He goes on to explain that this river is the Spirit of God that lives in us, empowers us and flows out of us to minister to and impact others!

            When I live out of my flesh, the life in me is limited by my feelings and my circumstances.  But, when I live in the Spirit, the source of life in me is limitless and the overflow makes a deep impact.  Let the river flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment